Pages

Wednesday, 6 April 2011

growth and death


There is daily change at the moment as everything seems to be growing and filling out at great speed


inside and out.


I found this beautiful nuthatch in my front garden a week or so ago. I can only guess that it succumbed to one of the cats. I've never seen a nuthatch round here before ... perhaps there aren't any round here any more!?


It is absolutely beautiful and I've had
it sitting around waiting to be drawn. I now realise I'm not going to manage to find the time to draw it (before it gets a bit smelly) so I photographed it and I'm going to put it in the compost heap to rot down and hopefully I can collect the skull. I have done this in the past with all sorts of found birds. As a child I was really quite fascinated by collecting dead insects, skulls and other things macabre, purely in the interests of natural history study I hasten to add! I still have this collection.


Today I happened to come across Susan Silas' stunning work recording found birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment