Pages

Wednesday, 17 August 2011

return


A couple of days after exploring the inside of the old fishing station I returned and started a few experiments. Having read in India Flint's Second Skin about the value of dipping fabric in seawater before other dyeing processes I popped a few bits and pieces into the waves and gave them a good soaking. Some were left to dry on the pebbles.


I gathered up bits of sea weed from the receding water and wrapped them in the wet silk.


I did the same for some salty wet wool felt.


I took a few rusty nails from inside the hut and added these to one of the seaweed bundles to see what difference it would make to the potential colours. This bit felt very scientific - some with and some without as a control!


I wrapped one piece of silk round variou
s rusty metal objects without any weed in there but with plenty of salty wetness! I then put some pieces of paper from my sketchbook into the waves to thoroughly wet them (this is the point when anyone else on the beach might have started to wonder what the hell I was doing, but these Scottish beaches are so un-crowded that the nearest people were probably totally oblivious to my odd potterings). I then placed my wet paper underneath some of the rusty stuff in the hut to see if I might get some interesting rust prints.


The paper seemed to start to dry pretty quic
kly with the breeze and the fact it was a fairly nice day so I poured a bit more sea water on to these little setups a few more times through the day to keep them damp for as long as possible.


I then left them to it with the intention of returning a few days later, taking my bundles with me to sit and develop with time. What might I find
when I returned? Would my paper be removed by a fisherman wondering what on earth people had been doing in his hut?

A few more beach treasures...


and this lovely little chap, later to be identified as a masked crab carapace. I'm always amazed how such a delicate thing like this can find its way from the waves onto the beach and remain intact.


There were various different sea urchins on this beach, including
a number of little sea potatoes (or heart urchins - sounds a bit more romantic!), the smallest of which was about the size of my thumb nail. That one was too fragile though, and as I went to pick it up it crumbled in my fingers.


8 comments:

  1. Beach combing at its best that, I reckon. And if nowt works on the fabric least youve had fun playing lol What a fun hut too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Can't wait to see how they come out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My parents live down on the south coast and when l last visited l picked up some sea water plus seaweed. Results.....failure!!! But l am not put off trying again next week! Interesting to see how you get on. i am addicted to eco-dyeing and evefrything else is amazing! lynda
    http://tryingtocreatearteveyday.blogspot.com
    and
    http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will be really interesting to see how these turn out. Love your photography by the way:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So love your work and blog. Gave you a little mention today on one of my blogs :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks all! Next installment coming soon (just been away again - different sea views and lots of fresh air) once I've caught up with a few things at home.

    Let me know where you mentioned me Carolyn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings from Tunisia! While surfing the net and trying to beat the heat, I'm enjoying your blog. Your work is extremely interesting. The judges were right about your miniature quilt--so original and lovely.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Nadia. How lovely you found me from Tunisia!

    ReplyDelete