Pages

Sunday, 28 August 2011

unwrapping


I took a couple of my 'old fishing station' bundles back there towards the end of the week to unwrap them and see what results I would get from the experiments I'd set up. They had definitely developed over the few days they'd sat on the veranda, colour seeping through in various places. The top one of the bunch had just sea weed in it, wrapped in silk. It seemed right to return the seaweed to where I'd found it. The others I wanted to bring home to give them longer to develop.


I was intrigued to see what would have happene
d to my rust prints that I'd left in the hut. When I got there the one on the shelf was just as I'd left it with some nice marks transferred from the rusty bits and pieces onto my paper.


The cows had been into the hut over night (probably to get out of the rain the previous day) and crashed about a bit. They had left their mark in various places amongst the ropes and 'stuff' on the floor. They'd also knocked my other paper off the box I'd left it on. There were marks on it from the rusty nails but also the odd foot print!


I unwrapped the thread that was binding my bundle tight then unrolled the silk, shaking out the bits of weed that I'd wrapped up a few days earlier.


The different types of weed left different marks and colours,
some with quite distinct patterns from the veins and fronds.


As the silk unwound it flew in the breeze like a flag. I carried it to the edge of the water to rinse out the last bits of weed.


The silk dried quickly in the warm breeze and sunshine. I wet another small piece of wool felt and wrapped
it around a big limpet shell, binding with linen thread. This one was to go home with me, along with a jar of sea water with a few of the rusty nails I'd found for future use.


3 comments:

  1. Alice, the fabrics and the narrative were lovely. Thank you for sharing. You have a goldmine of printmaking items on hand. They will provide some lovely marks.

    ReplyDelete