Pages

Tuesday, 13 September 2011

drawing


A little while ago I was invited to attend a couple of music workshops to photograph and sketch the participants while they played. I jumped at the chance: an excuse to sit and draw for two or three hours is a valuable one. Of course I shouldn't need an excuse to draw - it is something I should be doing every day - but somehow it just doesn't happen that way. If I'm away somewhere I can make that a part of how I experience a different place but at home it is a different story, despite my many resolutions to make it part of my daily routine.

Anyway, I just got round to photographing and cleaning up my sketches. Here are a few of the ones I'm most pleased with, of a string quartet.


Drawing people is particularly challenging, I find. I just can't do faces, but I do enjoy trying to capture people (and animals) while they're moving. Th
e resulting sketches are often quite sparse as they have to be so quick, but somehow I find I can capture something of the moment or the movement without having to get bogged down in too much detail.

2 comments:

  1. just found your blog,I started a 'sketch a day' this year..kept it up 'till July, not bad eh? Love all your inspiring textile stuff, I'm just experimenting with natural dyes at the moment. Nina Fenner

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done on keeping it up til July, my resolutions like that rarely get past a few days. Glad you found me!

    ReplyDelete