Pages

Thursday, 29 September 2011

revisiting and developing


 I'm revisiting some of the work I did in semester one last year at college.  This work was all based around beachcombing trips and the different types of items I collected.  It involved classifying and grouping the different objects and making assemblages with them in different ways.  The interplay of natural and man-made was a key theme.



 I've taken some of the prints and embossing that I did using found objects  and have scanned them to make digital versions.  I'm now cleaning them up in photoshop to make layers that can be played about with.


I'm going to be doing a collagraph printmaking workshop this weekend.  I'm really excited about it.  I've dabbled with this sort of printmaking at various times over the last 5 years.  It all started when I went on a printmaking holiday in Cornwall and I've wanted to bring it more into my practice ever since.  At college I had some access to the printmaking department (different to textile print) and most of my college projects included something derived from either collagraph or embossing using a printing press.  Often this was some element of texture that led to a print, which I then incorporated into my work in different ways.  The paper based element of my final year work, which was paper embossed with stitch marks and then stitched into further, is something I'm really keen to develop.  I'm hoping to get my own small printing press soon and this weekend should give me the boost I need to develop this area of my work.

4 comments:

  1. It's lovely to revisit and explore avenues you didn't have time for - if only there were more hours in the day! I know you'll enjoy the printmaking, I don't need to say have fun... looking forward to seeing what you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often revisit my past work that l am not happy with . Like what l see you are playing around with.Enjoy your printing weekend..l have often played around with collagraph and enjoyed it when l did. i would like to do more but never seem to have the time!x
    I have a private view this weekend in southfields SW18..to do with our open house week. I have to admit l feel a bit nervous this time..no idea why!
    lyndax

    ReplyDelete
  3. You show such interesting and diverse ideas on your blog. Besides your beach "gatherings" I really liked your stitching on silk and the variations you created.
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your encouragement. I do have diverse interests Nadia and sometimes I think it means I spread myself too thinly. I'm conscious that I need to focus my work a bit more, although everything is linked in some way (even if that is obvious only to me!). The beach stuff is becoming a bit of a recurring theme, which is why I'm revisiting it.

    ReplyDelete