Saturday, 17 September 2011
I sat and stitched in between sales at the Makers Fair last weekend. I played about with some of my rust/seaweed dyed silk and found that little seeding stitches helped to keep the crumpled structure that the silk has and which I want to retain.
The wool felt I have left from my degree project makes a lovely base to stitch into and I find that I keep coming back to the square units that I used through out my final project, derived from ideas in architecture. There is something so pleasing about the square format.
I started off with a larger piece of felt and an even larger piece of silk and played about, but without direction. As soon as I cut off small squares I was happier with what I was doing, finding ways to vary the repetition subtly.
I've also been experimenting with ideas for a commission I have. I'm hoping that I can use some of the leftover materials from my degree work, as well as some left over ideas.