Pages

Saturday, 21 January 2012

print room


I spent a morning in the print room at college this week.  As a recent graduate I was able to apply for access to the facilities for this year and got it, so I felt it was about time I started making use of it.  As my studio is still a little way off being workable in and I needed to do something other than planning, paper work and sitting in front of this screen a session in the print room made sense.


I made two screens, one based on the silhouettes of items found beach combing a year or so ago and one using part of a poem written by a companion on the same trip. I purposefully made the text pretty small so that it wouldn't all expose clearly and so some of it would be legible and some wouldn't.  I wanted to experiment with this and use the shape of the words on the page as much as the words themselves.



I layered prints over pages from my sketch book that had been dyed, stained and rust printed, playing about with the tones already on the paper and using different combinations of prints.


Some of these pages will be worked on more, stitched into and further dyed.  Some are quite striking as they are.  All are part of a process, growing ideas, developing thoughts...  

3 comments:

  1. How wonderful to see your process; and I love the finished piece!......really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you thought about the text being there and not there; and the beautiful rusty papers you printed onto - just gorgeous. I look forward to following the next steps in their journey...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting work Alice.....glad you are back printingxLynda
    http://chocolatelifeandjazz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete