Pages

Thursday, 15 March 2012

review


I've been reviewing some of the experiments I've done recently to work out what has been successful and what hasn't worked.  The first set of collagraph prints with my new press have been really useful in starting to understand how to achieve the results I want.  This is an on-going process, but I spent a few hours going through what I've done and noting down anything of importance.


I've also been re-visiting what lies behind the work I've done in the past few months.  The starting points are all based around coastal landscape, and that looks set to continue as a theme for my work (see the Spurn blog).  This coastal thing has roots in visits to Runswick Bay in North Yorkshire and visits to Wales and Scotland in the last couple of years.  One big influence was the Old Fishing Station at Red Point, Sutherland last year.  Over the period of a week I visited this place a number of times and it became a focus for some intensive creative activity that week and ever since.


I gathered together some of my key images the other day and laid them out again.  I'm not looking to re-produce any one image but all these textures and marks feed in, along with the man-made objects that I found at the different locations. 


This was a useful exercise.  I now need to focus on producing work for a range of events later this year and it is helpful to be clear in my mind where things have come from and where I want them to go.

8 comments:

  1. Those photos are wonderful inspiration Alice. I get where you are coming from (pardon the shocking gramar).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jo. I'm glad what I'm doing makes sense!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photos! It will be a pleasure to see where you go with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, they are lovely photos, Alice. You can really see how these shapes are influencing your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alice - each and every one of these images speaks to me, whispers to me and echoes somehow across the miles. I like the way you think about your work, clarify where the inspiration lies and what you are trying to achieve. I wish you well and look forward to the fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great images! As Jo commented, I also get where you are coming from and I'm really looking forward to following you on the Spurn Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this has made me think, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks. I did enjoy going back to these images again and bringing them together like this.

    ReplyDelete